To preserve the proud legacy of the Purple Heart Medal.
1196 S. Lecanto Hwy., Lecanto, FL
Citrus County Builders Assn.
Cdr: Richard “Bud” Allen
Sr. Vice Cdr: Chuck Kanehl
Jr. Vice Cdr: Chris Boreland
Finance Off: Joe McClister
Chapter 776 officers for 2019-20: Left: Bud Allen, Commander; Fred Daniels, Chaplain; Zig Laska, Trustee; Chuck Kanehl, Sr. Vice Commander; Joe McClister, Finance Officer & Service officer; and Will Korber, Americanism Officer. Not present: Chris Boreland, Jr. Vice Commander; Frank Hayes, Judge Advocate; Rick Allen, Sgt at Arms; Glenn Beaulieu, Trustee; Curt Ebitz, Adjutant & Historian; and Gary Bain, Welfare Officer.
Judge Adv: Frank Hayes
Sgt-at-Arms: Rick Allen
Trustee 2-yrs: Andy Viola
Trustee 1-yr: Glenn Beaulieu
Adjutant: Curt Ebitz
Service Off: Joe McClister
Welfare Off: Gary Bain
Historian: Curt Ebitz
Chaplain: Fred Daniels
Americanism Off: William Korber
Pre-WW2 Awards: The Purple Heart as we know it today was reestablished in 1932 to coincide with the 200th anniversary of the birth of George Washington. The original criteria for award of the Purple Heart as published in the War Department Circular No. 6 of February 22, 1932 states that the medal be awarded to anyone serving in the Army who had received combat-related injuries or had received the AEF's Meritorious Service Citation Certificate during WWI, the latter criteria harkening back to the intent of George Washington's "Badge of Military Merit".
At his headquarters in Newburgh, New York, on August 7, 1782, General George Washington devised two new badges of distinction for enlisted men and noncåmmissioned officers. To signify loyal military service, he ordered a chevron to be worn on the left sleeve of the uniform coat for the rank and file who had completed three years of duty "with bravery, fidelity, and good conduct"; two chevrons signified six years of service. The second badge, for "any singularly meritorious Action," was the "Figure of a Heart in Purple Cloth or Silk edged with narrow Lace or Binding." This device, the Badge of Military Merit, was affixed to the uniform coat above the left breast and permitted its wearer to pass guards and sentinels without challenge and to have his name and regiment inscribed in a Book of Merit. The Badge specifically honored the lower ranks, where decorations were unknown in contemporary European Armies. As Washington intended, the road to glory in a patriot army is thus open to all."
WWII Awards: In April 1942 the War Department amended its policy regarding the issuance of the Purple Heart. The new regulations authorized the posthumous award of the Purple Heart retroactive to December 7, 1941, and eliminated the use of the medal as a merit award.
Badge of Military Merit
Aaron A. Weaver Chapter 776 Military Order of the Purple Heart, P.O. Box 1345, Lecanto, FL 34460-1345
Tel: 352-637-3265 or 352-382-3847 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org